Southern entrance, to the stunning
ROGUE-UMPQUA NATIONAL SCENIC BYWAY
172 Miles * World Class Recreation & Adventure!
GOLD HILL “Sparkles” …
Located adjacent to the Rogue River, off I-5 (at exit 40), Gold Hill is the southern portal to the Rogue-Umpqua National Scenic Byway and provides a wealth of tourist information and attractions including river recreation, historical exploration and, the annual “Gold Dust Day” held each year on the first Saturday of June. (In 2010, the Shady Cove Allaboard Trolley was invited to participate in the” Gold Dust Day Celebration” and Parade; passengers on board, included Alumni from the Hanby Middle School, celebrating the school’s 100th birthday).
The City of Gold Hill was incorporated on February 12, 1895. Settlement on area land claims began in the early 1850’s, soon after the discovery of gold along the Rogue River and its tributaries. In 1883, with the coming of the railroad, a town site was developed.
Opportunities for River Recreation and Historical Exploration Abound!
The Gold Hill Bike and Pedestrian Trail begins on 4th Street , behind the Post Office and continues to the Gold Hill Sports Park , on Highway 234 (on the RUNSByway) and a pathway leading beyond to the scenic Rogue River . The stairs next to the historic 1927 Gold Hill Bridge leads to Beach Park .
For information about the area’s golden history visit the Gold Hill Historical Society Museum , 504 First Avenue , Gold Hill. The Museum is housed in the Beeman-Martin House built in 1901 by mine owner and community leader Josiah H. Beeman, purchased from Jill Martin, Beeman’s granddaughter, in 1993), the site was renovated by volunteer labor and contains exhibits relating to local mining and area history. Included on the Museum grounds is a reconstructed 1892 five-stamp mill used by Mr. Beeman at his Lucky Bart Mine on Sardine Creek. (For additional Museum Information and/or to confirm hours call: 541-855-1182 (Thurs to Sat Noon to 4 pm).
Other points of interest include the Rock Point Pioneer Cemetery . Large Madrone and Oak trees shade the beautifully carved examples of Victorian-era marble monuments adorning the final resting places of the Lytle White family, builders of the Rock Point Hotel. (A free map and brochure is available at the Gold Hill Historical Society Museum ).
Gold Hill is a product of the frontier days, when bold men sought golden riches despite ongoing hardships. The 1860 discovery of the famous Gold Hill Pocket, overlooking the present town site, brought about its name, with a gold rush that continued for decades and spilled into the nearby creeks and valleys, including mines with names like the Millionaire, Lucky Bart, and Roaring Gimlet. In 1884, the railroad bypassed neighboring settlements, which made Gold Hill a center depot and created ghost towns along the way. While the cry of “Gold, Gold, Gold” filled the air, women and families drove in roots that tamed the town.
When the area’s mining and lumbering industries phased out, Gold Hill was then rediscovered in the late 20th century by folks searching for a small-town life, exquisite surroundings, and proximity to the legendary Rogue River. Wine tasting and vineyards replaced areas where stagecoaches once stopped and orchards grew…
Author Dennis Powers, a professor emeritus of Southern Oregon University in Ashland has published a book that celebrates Gold Hill’s Rich Past to benefit the Gold Hill Historical Society. The book, boosts more than 200 vintage images encompassing various aspects of life in Gold Hill, giving readers a unique opportunity to reconnect to the history that shaped this community. (Available at the Gold Hill Historical Society Museum ).
Del Rio Vineyards is the largest planted vineyard tract in Southern Oregon . The lovely tasting room is located in the renovated Rock Point Hotel at 52 N. River Road. Bring lunch to enjoy in the grassy, tree-shaded picnic area. Info & Tasting Room: 541-855–2062
For additional information on sites and activities in Gold Hill contact:
Gold Hill City Hall
420 6th Avenue
P. O. Box 308
Gold Hill , OR 975